Easter Brioche (Kozunak) is traditional Bulgarian recipe for the Easter day. The secret is the knitting and the time for the dough to rise. Take your time with this recipe and enjoy the festive spirit.
Ingredients for the dough (enough for two brioches)
250 ml warm full fat milk
2 tbsp. dry yeast
250 g white crystal sugar
5 eggs (plus one egg yolk for glazing)
A pinch of salt
200 g soften butter + extra for the baking tray
1 kg white flour (sifted)
Zest of one orange
Zest of one lemon
3 tbsp. of sesame seeds
4 tbsp. of sugar for toping
Ingredients for the Dates marmalade
300g pitted dates
50 ml water
300g white sugar
- Mix the milk with the yeast, 1 tsp. sugar, and pinch of salt and let it rest for 20-30 mins. It is ready for use once bubbles appear on the surface.
- Use a food processor to beat the eggs, sugar and butter until smooth. Add the yeast mixture.
- Add 3 cups flour until you get thick cake-like mix.
- Spread the mix on your working station. Start knitting the dough by adding more flour. Knit for at least 30 mins. The more you knit the better!
- Leave the dough to rise for an hour or so. Keep your kitchen warm even hot to have the best result!
- Mean time you can prepare your dates marmalade. Preheat a pan, mix all the ingredients and stir until you get the right texture. The marmalade should be sticky and with no excess liquid.
- When your dough is ready cut into two and get creative with your brioche. See the attached photos of my two ideas.
- Brush your baking trays with clarify Lurpak butter and place your brioches
- Let it rise for at least two hours
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Brush the brioches with the egg yolk and top with sesame seeds and sugar.
- Bake until golden