Arabic muhammara is another traditional mezze. It`s made of blended bread crumbs, roasted peppers and walnuts. As the ingredients suggest it is very rich dip. Usually is prepared very spicy and some recipes have tomato puree in it.
My recipe includes also fig molasses in which I recently felt in love. It taste heavenly and gives the salads and dips slightly sweet and vinegary taste. If you don`t live in Dubai I am sure you can find such molasses in any Arabic store. Just check the ingredients as you don`t want to get a product full of added sugar and corn syrup in it.
Together with muhammara I quickly grilled chicken breasts with very simple seasoning of rosemary and salt. There is nothing special in it but it goes really well in combination with the rich muhammara.
– 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs – I made mine at home as I had leftover stale bread. If you also want to utilize it- just cut the bread into chunks and blend it for few seconds.
– 1 cup walnuts- finely chopped
– 2 roasted peppers
– 1 clove garlic
– 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
-1 tbsp fig molasses
– 1/2 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp chili flakes – or more if you fancy hot and spicy
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the roasted peppers
2. Mix all ingredients together and blend well.
3. Serve with extra olive oil and Arabic flat bread