This is a recipe that every single Bulgarian out there is in love with. Banica (pronounced – banitsa) is our traditional snack made of filo pastry filled with eggs and white cheese. This is perfect for breakfast, midday snack, substitute for bread or just perfect for any time and any occasion. Even though I love pancakes and their variations, banica is and always be my favorite.
Now to the recipe. If you follow my blog you already know that this will be an easy one. I actually checked the time and it took me exactly 26 minutes from start to finish. And this include the time for baking! Are you up for it already? Note the recipe below:
Ingredients (for 5 mini banica)
– 5 filo pastry sheets (same used for baklava)
– 2 eggs plus 1 extra egg yolk
– 2 tbsp oil
– 300 g white Bulgarian cheese- they sell it in Union Co-op and the big Spineys around Dubai. You can substitute with feta cheese.
– 100 g melted butter – I used cooking mist/spray
– sesame seeds for topping
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Beat the 2 eggs with the cheese (keep the cheese into chunks).
3. Spread the egg mix one each filo sheet and brush/spray with butter.
4. Roll each filoo sheet.
5. Mix the extra egg yolk with a spoon of oil and brush each banica.
6. Top with sesame seeds.
7. Bake until golden.