This could be your quick lunch at the office, or a nice filling meal after work. It was the latter for me and I regret sharing it with Tom 😀 Since I started cooking for my baby daughter I learned a lot about nutrition as well. It is no secret that quinoa is a super food, but I genuinely prefer it over rice. In fact I stopped cooking rice even for my husbands lunch box as quinoa is more filling and times healthier.
Combining it with Korean beef you get to savor the quinoa without adding anything else.As the juices from the meat will soak in it and the sweetness of the sauce will give it this much needed fragrance.
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked it will be enough to serve 3-4 portions)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- Place the quinoa in a small stock pot and cover with 2 cups water or chicken stock. Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the garlic and ginger for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the ground beef and brown completely.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the ground beef and let cook for 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors to set.
- Once the quinoa is done, take off the heat and fluff with a fork. Serve beef over quinoa, top with green onion and lime juice