Being Bulgarian I was raised to love our cuisine. One of the things I miss the most is the little bakeries located almost everywhere, offering traditional breakfast pastries. Sadly, we don`t have Bulgarian restaurant here in Dubai, but few years ago I discovered Turkish food. Little I knew of how similar these two are. In fact we share names of recipes and you guessed it- breakfast!
The recipe I present you today is called Sivas katmeri and its layered dough with butter. I wouldn`t say it`s difficult to make, but it takes some time in the kitchen. Find the recipe below and go through the pictures in the gallery to see how it`s made.
- I used the same dough recipe, with which I made the mekici.
- Let the dough rest until double in size (45 min. to 1 h)
- Cut the dough in 4. You will need two for each sivas katmeri
- Roll the dough until 0.5 cm thin, brush with melted butter and fold like an envelope
- Roll second dough, brush with butter and put your first envelope dough in the center
- Fold around it and brush generously with butter
- Make two sivas katmeri and gently roll them to 1 cm thickness
- Place in baking tray, covered with baking paper
- Score the dough with sharp knife
- Brush with butter and bake at 180 degrees for 45 min. or until golden
- I like to serve it with jam, white cheese and herbal tea