I bet vegans out there get very excited when they find good recipe for cheese. We are not vegans at home, but I like to explore new things, and now I started to cook vegan for dinner, which you can see from my last posts. We tried Veggie chili, the famous “pulled pork” sandwiches and the super tasty coconut curry.
I was curious to try some “cheesy” recipe and going back to different websites I found this recipe from Cookie and Kate.
Despite what the comments are saying this doesn`t taste like cheese. Maybe to some extend it can remind you of it by the texture, but it`s not like the real cheese. That said I want to tell you as well how delicious this recipe was. Me and Tom finished it in no time and it was rather satisfying. We agreed it can`t be called Mac and Cheese, but Mac and very delicious sauce 🙂
- 4 cups elbow pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small white potatoes, shredded
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp red paprika
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (I used roasted)
- 1 cup water, more as necessary
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 to 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- one small fresh jalapeno for serving (optional)
- Boil the pasta in salted water
- Saute the onions, garlic, potato and spices for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cashew nuts and water and cook until cooked through (about 5-8 minutes). Add more water if necessary.
- Blend until smooth and add the nutritional yeast and vinegar. Blend again. Add 4-5 tbsp water if necessary.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce and top with fresh jalapeno.