Living with a man who hate all seafood isn`t easy. Though he loves fish and chips (as per him this doesn`t taste fishy) I can`t let him eat anything else. I made him eat sushi when we first met, and he is now converted tuna lover- BIG deal! This fishcakes were another attempt and hopefully big success.
The challenge here was the type of fish I can use as Tom would not eat salmon as it`s too fishy, crab is also off the list. I was ready to opt for the cod, but there wasn`t any at the supermarket, so what are my options?! Nile Perch! I have no idea about this fish, not sure if I ever tried it myself,but the meat looked white and very similar to the cod, so I decided to take the risk.
It was a winner! The meat wasn`t fishy at all, in fact it was with really pleasant creamy taste. Mixed with potatoes, and deep fried I was almost certain Tom will not only eat it but also like it. I decided to serve it with simple mayo and Worcestershire dip and some store bought spicy pineapple sauce.
- 400g Nile perch fillet (or any other fish you like)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweet corn- I used fresh from the cob, but you can use from a can
- handful chopped parsley
- black pepper and salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup flour
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash them with a fork
- Chop the fish fillet into small chunks
- In a big bowl mix potatoes, fish, onion, peppers, parsley and salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix well using a spoon or even with hands
- Preheat your oil in a non stick pan
- Take some fishcake mixture and form a patties, dust in little bit of flour and fry until golden- 2 minutes on each side.
- Mix the mayo and Worcestershire and serve with the fishcakes