Since I discovered this recipe I pour this chili oil over almost anything I eat. It`s spicy, fragrant and versatile. Store it in the fridge and use it within one year.
Original recipe from here
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp black peppercorns
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup chili flakes
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- In a small pan heat the oil (avoid boiling)
- Preheat a pan and toast the star anise, cinnamon, bay leaves, peppercorns and cardamom until starting to smoke.
- Add the toasted spices to the oil and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the oil, but keep the anise and cinnamon
- Add it to the chili flakes, stir well and keep in a glass jar