At home we love a good Asian recipe. Wantons are one of my favourite things to eat. The juicy filling, the vinegary and spicy sauce to dip- just perfection. My wantons for this recipe are shaped like gyozas simply because I couldn`t find wanton wrappers anywhere. I decided to compromise on the shape, but don`t worry the taste is pretty authentic. I added a little pictures gallery at the bottom of the post, so you can see how to wrap the gyoza shapes.
The recipe if from Marion`s kitchen.
For the wantons:
- 40 wrappers sheets (I found mine in Spinneys Motor City Branch)
- 300 g pork mince
- few stalks spring onion
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (you can use water if you don`t have it)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp chili oil (recipe here)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup spring onion
- handful fresh coriander
- thumb size grated ginger
- Start by mixing all the ingredients for the sauce. Keep in the fridge before it`s time to serve
- Mix the mince, spices, egg and stock well and fill each wrapper as shown below
- Keep each wanton on a dusted with corn starch surface to avoid sticking
- Boil water and cook the wantons for 4-5 minutes
- To serve place few wantons on a plate, drizzle generously with the sauce and add few table spoons of the water you boiled the wantons in.