These cute little buns are soft, warm and perfect with a cup of tea or buttered for breakfast. They have very little amount of sugar, so make perfect treat for kids too. And also look so gorgeous, that I will make them again for Halloween.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 8)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
120 ml (1/2 cup) milk – lukewarm
3 tbsp butter – melted
50 g white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dry yeast
350 g white flour
4 whole pecans
1-2 tbsp maple syrup to brush the buns
- In a small bowl mix the milk, yeast and a pinch of sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes or until start to bubble
- Sift the flour and add puree, sugar, salt, butter, egg (reserve small amount for brushing later), and yeast mixture. Knead until the dough is soft and elastic. Put it in a bowl and cover. Let it rest for an hour, or until it double in size.
- Once proofed take the dough and knead again few times. Cut into equal peaces and form small bolls.
- Using scissors cut the bolls 5-6 times so they resemble pumpkin.
- Place them on a baking paper and using a thin brush or a pencil, poke a hole in the middle of each bun
- Brush each bun with the leftover egg and bake at 180 until golden
- When ready, put half pecan into the hole of each bun and brush with maple syrup.