One of my favorite childhood breakfast and quite possibly every other Bulgarian I know. You can mix the dough from the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight. The next morning let it out for at least an hour to temper and fry them.
Recipe (makes about 10 mekici)
250g white flour
150 ml warm water
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Oil for frying- I use light olive oil
1) Mix the water, yeast and sugar into a small bowl and let sit for the yeast to activate or at least ten minutes
2) Gently start folding the flour until you get nice elastic dough
3) Cover the bowl with foil and let rest for at least one hour or until it’s doubled in size
4) Move the ready dough to a oiled work top and cut into small pieces. Let rest for five minutes
5) preheat a small pan to a medium heat, with at least 2 fingers deep of oil.
6) Gently stretch each mekici into flat circle, and fry on both sides until golden