Internet is full with recipe videos of this vegan sandwich at the moment, so I decided to give it a try. I found ready to cook/eat jackfruit in Carrefour in Mall of the Emirates. It cost around 11 dirhams per box (it doesn`t say what is the quantity). For 4 sandwiches like the ones on the picture I used two boxes or approximately 500 g.
I wouldn`t say you can`t make any difference between these sandwiches and the real meat ones, but they both taste really good. This vegan version is really exotic and extra sweet. I could happily eat that as a substitute to the meat ones.
Recipe credit to Buzzfeed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups jackfruit, it comes chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup vegan barbecue sauce
6 vegan buns
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan or Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until translucent.
- Add the jackfruit, spices and Worcestershire. Stir to coat evenly.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the fruit has broken down.
- Spread the jackfruit on a prepared baking sheet and bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes, until the liquid has baked out and the jackfruit has a deeper brown color.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the jackfruit, mix, and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm on vegan buns with vegan coleslaw.